I got fired and I deserved it.

In 2018, I got fired from my job as a marketing consultant and I deserved it in more ways than one.

First of all, I loved and still love marketing but I wasn't good at it. I was like a Chelsea fan sitting at home staring and admiring the players on screen. Players who worked hard day and night to be on that field. I admired it, I was dabbling in it but not enough to have any real knowledge of how to put it to work. 

I went into the interview saying I could do anything because all I really knew how to was create a content plan and NOT execute it myself.

Secondly, I knew how to look busy and what's surprising is that I didn't know that I had this until I was called out on it. I would wake up in the morning feeling exhausted and mentally unprepared to face another day of work.

Coincidentally, this was a low time for me mental health-wise as well and I remember making suicide jokes, CLEARLY, I WAS DEPRESSED🤦🏾‍♀️

Thinking back to it, I could have just told the truth and asked to be properly trained, maybe someone would have taken pity on me and taught me what I needed to know. Nevertheless, many of us are good looking busy, feeling overwhelmed and mentally strained from just being busy and NOT ACTUALLY BEING PRODUCTIVE.

It's super easy! Just monitor what you spend your time on. HOW DO YOU SPEND YOUR TIME? are you working on things that add to you or your work or are you just working on something random for the sake of it?

HOW YOU SPEND YOUR TIME SHOWS WHO YOU ARE, WHERE YOU ARE GOING AND WHAT YOU DEEM A PRIORITY!

So from henceforth monitor how you spend your time! If you can't find anything to work on, read a book. Listen to a podcast/audiobook. Have a conversation with someone who is where you want to be.

Spend time-consuming content that enriches your life, your mind, your career. Being productive with your time also means doing something small every day to take you one step closer to your goal! It's okay to ask for help from people around you, or Google!

I am happy that my experience taught me this valuable lesson, it's one thing to read a quote and another to live it.

Are you busy or productive?





0 Comments